Canada Bridge Reopens Post Police Clear Protest

The busiest U.S.- Canada border has finally opened today. It was close because of the protesters demonstrating against COVID-19 measures. It was blocked for nearly a week, But a larger protest in the capital, Ottawa, persisted as city residents seethes over authorities’ inability to reclaim the streets.


View this post on Instagram


A post shared by FORTUNE (@fortunemag)

News in Detail

Demonstrations against COVID-19 restrictions and several other issues have blocked a few crossings along the U.S.-Canada border and hurt the economies of both nations. They even inspired similar convoys in France, New Zealand, and the Netherlands. The U.S. Department of homeland security has also warned that truck convoys may be in the works in the United States.

Police have also arrested 25 to 30 protesters and towed a few vehicles on Sunday in Windsor, Ontario, near the Ambassador Bridge. It links Windsor and many other Canadian automotive plants with Detroit.

The bridge reopened to traffic on Sunday late night, a spokeswoman for bridge owner Detroit International Bridge Co has confirmed. Canada Border services have also confirmed that the bridge has opened up.

Post after protesters began blocking bridge access on February 7, automakers began shutting down or reducing production- at a time when the industry is already struggling with pandemic shortages of computer chips and with other disruptions in the supply chain. The crossings see 25% of all the trade between the two countries.

Windsor Mayor Drew Dilkens also stated that ” Today, our national economic crisis at the Ambassador Bridge came to an end.”

See also  Tired of copyright issues, Getty Images bans AI generated artwork

About 470 miles towards the northeast of Windsor, the protest in Ottawa has paralyzed the downtown infuriated residents who were fed up with the police inaction and turned up the pressure on prime minister Justin Trudeau.

A senior government official also stated that Trudeau will meet virtually with the leaders of Canada’s provinces on Monday morning. The official also spoke on the condition of anonymity as they were not authorized to speak publicly.

Almost everyone in the city had appeared to reach a deal in which protesters, who have jammed downtown streets for more than two weeks, would move out of residential areas, but those who prospects soon faded.

For more updates stay tuned with us StanfordArts Review

Leave a Reply